Tuesday, October 29, 2013

.messes & masterpieces.

I LOVE LEOPARD! and stripes....and black & white... so I adore everything about this table.

My sister, & I started on this many moons ago. I changed my mind about what I wanted more than I care to admit, we procrastinated, she had a baby... Long story short, a lot has happened from the time we took this table from our parent's garage to the beauty it is now.  It was definitely worth it, right? It is GORGEOUSNESS...

Oh yeah, hey...here's my sister! Her name is Terra & I love her guts.  We make messes & masterpieces together, usually at the same time.  Our husbands love it.  She's a lot more skilled in sewing & detail work than I am, so she contributes a lot to my diy projects {sometimes she takes over & does the whole thing for me...I like that the best}

Ok, back to the table.... here is what we started with {this was seriously over a year ago..that is embarassing}
 We started by sanding the entire thing with an electric sander & painting the top of the table with  Behr black suede.

I didn't get many pictures of the detail work because I didn't realize I would be using it for a blog...my apologies. 

 Terra is pregnant with Jade here.  Doesn't she look precious?

We also had a little helper.  She was such a hard worker.  She also thinks she is the boss, in every situation.  She was telling Terra how to pain the base.  She knows everything & likes to make sure everyone around her knows about it {she must get that from someone}

Terra freehanded all the leopard spots from a picture I took of a table I liked at a local boutique.  Pretty good, right?

We used Martha Stewart vintage gold for the base color.  The spots were done with a basic black (that I had on hand) & Martha Stewart pyrite textured metallic.  

I painted the apron with Glidden red delicious, while Terra worked on the base.

For the stripes, we used Behr heavy cream & Behr black suede.  Terra eyeballed the stripes & just taped it evenly, starting from the center & working outwards.  I painted the top with the heavy cream color first & we painted the stripes after laying the tape.  I painted 4 coats of the black.  I let it sit overnight & then sealed the whole table with Rust-Oleum clear enamel.  I did 4-5 coats  of the enamel so it won't chip.  We use our table for everything & I don't want all of our hard work to get messed up later. 

I am so happy with the results & LOVE everything about the way it looks.  What a difference a little paint can make!

No comments:

Post a Comment